You must have heard about the legendary Dale Carnegie. If not, let me tell you. An American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, public speaking, Dale Carnegie is one of the most celebrated names in the personal growth industry.
Despite being born into poverty he had immense belief in himself and wrote one of the most popular books to date, ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’.
He strongly believed that you can change other people’s behavior towards you if you change your behavior towards them.
I have read his one book till now (the one mentioned above) and let me tell you that it’s not just a book but an epic.
It will not only make you great in dealing with people but also affect your life positively in a lot of other ways.
How? You might ask! Yes, that’s a valid question, that’s why I have collected some invaluable tips from his book and presenting in front of you so that you don’t have to go through the entire book and the process of making your life extraordinary becomes quick and easy.
Here they are:
- You can win people to your way of thinking by the ability to talk well.
- Leadership gravitates to the man who can talk.
- Do the thing you fear to do!
- Dealing with people is the biggest problem we face (‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ has covered it quite well)
- About 85% of one’s financial success is due to his skill in human engineering i.e. the personality and the ability to lead people.
- How to understand and get along with people is one of the most important interests of adults.
- Kindness, words of appreciation and encouragement are the most important characteristics that you should possess.
Some jewels about criticism
- It is foolish to scold as ninety-nine times out of hundred, no man ever criticizes himself for anything, no matter how wrong he may be (so a lot of energy can be saved through this one).
- Start by changing yourself!
- Perfect yourself first.
- When dealing with people we are not dealing with creatures of logic but with creatures of emotion, prejudices, pride, and vanity.
- Criticism is the favorite pastime of fools while the people with strong character and self-control are understanding and forgiving.
- The greatness of a man is defined by the way he treats little men.
- It’s not what people do is important but why they do it.
The Big Secret
- If you want to get anything done, think about how you can make the other person do it.
- The only way you can get anybody to do what you want is to give him what he wants.
- ‘Everybody likes a compliment’- Abraham Lincoln.
- You can achieve miracles by giving people honest appreciation.
- Sincere appreciation is nourishment for self-esteem.
- Always try to figure out the good points of the other person.
- If you want to hold people in the palm of your hand, satisfy their craving to be appreciated and do it honestly.
The whole world has got your back
- Talk about what others want and show them how they can do it.
- Try to arouse an eager want in other people.
- If you can talk in terms of the other person than surely you will influence him/her in a great way.
- If you want a person to do something then ask yourself, “How you can make him/her do it?”
- Henry Ford famously put it “Get the other person’s point of you and see things from his angle as well as your own”.
- Putting other people before you can give you a huge advantage over others who don’t.
- Try to understand the working of people’s minds by putting yourself in their place.
- Try to think in terms of the other person’s point of view.
- Your popularity, happiness, and income, all depend on your skill in dealing with people.
So that’s all for some cool and legendary Dale Carnegie stuff for now. Just remember that this post covers only Part 1 of the whole book which is the Fundamental Techniques of Handling People. There are three more parts that I will be discussing in future posts.
I hope you had a great time reading this one. Trust me this is pure legendary stuff from the one and only Dale Carnegie and you can transform your life totally by this advice.
Read them, apply them and live the life of your dreams!
Happy New Year 2020!