How much water your body craves for and why!

How much water have you consumed today? This question is often neglected in health talks but water has a massive impact on your health and daily functions of your body and mind.

A human body is composed of around 60% water and fluid balance is critical for its proper functioning.

Water transports nutrients to cells and organs, serves as a lubricant for bones and joints, carries away toxins, impacts brain function, regulates body temperature and way too many more benefits to mention here.

Without water, there is simply no survival. The effects of dehydration can be severe for physical and mental performance.

Now let’s talk about how much water you need in a day for optimal performance of your body and mind. For adult men, around 4 liters and for adult women, around 3 liters is recommended. You might need more if you are physically active or breastfeeding.

Just keep in mind that water losses vary from person to person and even having too much water is not good too.

What is Hydration?

Around 80% of your hydration requirements are met through watertea, and milk. The remaining 20% is met through veggiesfruits, and yogurt which are high in water. Some food and fluid choices are better than others when it comes to hydration.

For example, alcohol is a fluid that blocks anti-diuretic hormones and hence increases water losses.

Now let’s take a look at some of the stuff that is rich in water:

Fluids:

  • Water (Well this is pretty obvious)
  • Tea
  • Milk

Food:

  • Cabbage
  • Cucumber
  • Lettuce
  • Celery
  • Radishes
  • Tomatoes
  • Bell peppers

Well, exercise along with other factors like alcohol consumptionfeverdiarrhea/vomitingwarm weather, and some medicines increase water loss and increase the risk of dehydration. But exercise being the most important part of your daily routine can be done keeping some factors in mind.

Here they are:

Before Workout

Fill the fluid tank of your body with a cup of water about 15 minutes before starting your workout.

During Workout 

Drink half a cup of water every 20 minutes while your workout is in progress.

After Workout

And finally 2 cups of water after getting done with your exercise.

Note that adding an electrolyte supplement during your workout can help you a great deal if you are sweating it out hard.

Some common signs of dehydration that you should be aware of:

  • Fatigue and irritability
  • Dark yellow urine
  • Constipation
  • Irregular or rapid heartbeat
  • Dizziness
  • Dry skin
  • Reduced sweat and urine output
  • Headache, cramps and joint pain
  • High body temperature
  • Sunken eyes

And lastly, some tips on Staying Hydrated to wrap it off:

  • Keep a water bottle handy with you so that you can get into the habit of drinking more water.
  • Track and increase your water consumption week by week, month by month.
  • Start your meal with soup or salad as they are rich in water.
  • Reward yourself with a glass of water after every snack or meal.

That’s it buddy, some very common stuff about the most important component of our body and lives. But the one you quite often neglect. If I say drinking water is great for you then it would be a big understatement.

If you aren’t able to have too much of it straight away, no big deal! Just get into the habit of it slowly and slowly, make progress and eventually, you will be able to drink just enough for a great body and mind.

So keep on drinking, but water only mind you!

Cheers!

About the author

besuperbwithakshay

Hello, I am Akshay Sharma, I am a content writer by profession. Fitness, meditation and reading are my passions. By being mindful of my physical, mental and spiritual fitness, I am becoming aware that life is full of adventures and fun and must be treated in that way only. A lot to learn and a lot to teach, that's what my mission is. Keep learning and keep spreading love buddies, Cheers!

View all posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *